Wedding Documents in Slovenia

Having your wedding in Slovenia can be a beautiful and unique experience. But please make sure that all paper work is understood and prepared as to not spoil the wonderful moment.

We will register the forthcoming marriage with the Marriage Registry Office of the Administrative Unit in the location where you want to get married. This can be accomplished not more than six months before the proposed wedding date, but no sooner than 14 days before the proposed wedding date.

You will be required to submit to the Administrative Unit:

  • 1Both spouses' original birth certificates or certified copies.
  • 2Both spouses' passports.
  • 3Certificate of No Legal Imediments for each spouse, also known as the A Free to Marry Certificate, which can usually be issued by your Embassy.
  • 4Documentary proof of dissolution of previous marriages, if any, e.g. final divorce or annulment decrees or a Death Certificate of the deceased spouse. The divorce decree should be presented to the Slovene district court to be certified as legally valid in Slovenia.
  • 5All documents not in Slovene must be accompanied by a translation performed by a certified translator.

Both marriage partners should be present when applying at the Administrative Unit. If this is not possible, then the absent fiancé(e) must submit a notarized Power of Attorney, which also must be translated into Slovene, authorizing a third person to sign the Administrative Unit document regarding his/her intent to marry.

Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required. They must show the originals and present photocopies of their passports if they are foreign citizens. Civil Registry employees can act as witnesses.

Once you submit these documents, then you can sign up for any available marriage date at the Administrative Unit. After the marriage has been performed, the Administrative Unit will issue a marriage certificate.